Saturday, October 10, 2009

More Fun – Trivets and Bookmarks

So, what exactly is the difference between a trivet and a hot pad?  My husband asked and I don’t know.  Are these trivets or hot pads?  Inquiring minds want to know.

In either case, these were a bit of a learning process.  I made the two circles and decided they weren’t quite interesting enough with just the monochromatic thing going: I cut them up and interchanged circles.  Seemed like a good idea at the time, only I hadn’t added the decorative stitching yet.  (Oops, the First).  Fused them onto another piece of batiste and then stitched.  Then did the satin stitching on the center circles.  Hmmm.  Wishing I had chosen another color thread, but not awful, so moving on.

I wanted to add a layer of Insul-Brite to these and that meant I couldn’t manage quite as simple a Fast2Fuse iron and hold.  Got a little off in my stacking and needed to trim which is why the bottom one pictured looks like it’s about to get a flat.  (Oops, the Second).

So, what I learned: it’s best to layer them all and then stitch just inside the outer edge of the top layer, then trim the under layers (bottom fabric, Fast2Fuse, Insul-Brite) to match – which is why the shape on the top one is better.

In either case, these are very pretty, but I’m not in love.  What I would do differently: I don’t think I’d do those cut out circles that then need to be satin-stitched together.  Instead, I’d see what would happen if I just use the fabric snippets to create a design.  Since I had a bunch of little pieces left over after making the trivets (and/or hot pads – inquiring minds, remember), I went ahead and made another set of bookmarks. 

I used the snippets to create a wave of color and I really, really love how these came out.  I wish the color in the photo was better (I really did try) because, even though it isn’t at all modest of me, I’m just going to say – these are really gorgeous up close and personal.

Meanwhile, I really need to get a life and do some other things.  But these have been so much fun, and I keep getting ideas for other applications.  So right now I’m thinking that this might be a cool technique to try with Pink Penguin’s basket pattern (the one that I have a Miniatures in Minutes version of on my projects page).  And after all, Christmas is coming up.  I already have plans that require creating more bookmarks. 

And, for anyone that’s just joining in, I have tutorials on making the bookmarks and a set of coasters in previous blog entries.

6 comments:

  1. you probably could use both for the same purpose but a trivet should be a bit thicker so that you could set a hot pan on it and the heat not go thru and scorch the counter. Trivets are also made of metal or cast iron sometimes so they are not always fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there you go Fiesta has said pretty much what I was going to! I see a trivet as being cast iron or ceramic and a hot pad is fabric.

    Erm. Does the fusible not remelt when you put the hot dish on it? Maybe you've tested that already.

    I haven't sewn anything all week. I guess I burned out on the folder :( Just some knitting. I hope I can get back to it soon.

    Cheers,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, the clarifications help. I don't know if I'd put something really, really hot on these, even with the Insul-Brite in there. And I didn't think about the fusible remelting. Hmmmm. I'll have to try something and see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your technique! I call it a trivet if you place a hot pot on it, and a hot pad if you use it to get a dish out of the oven. Either way, I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may be a regional thing -- here (Texas) a hot pad is something you use to grab the handle of a hot pot or to get a dish out of the oven, and a trivet's something you put the hot pot or dish on so it doesn't melt your countertop or take the finish off your table. Elsewhere, I've heard people call the latter a hot pad, and the former a potholder. So, call it what you want :)

    And, they're gorgeous. Look like stained glass. (I use all-cotton batting in mine -- which aren't as pretty! -- and they'll stand up to pretty much anything. Not sure they would if I'd used polyester, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Trivet vs. Hotpad discussion came up and a Trivet is metal and typically has 3 legs to support the hot dish. A Hotpad would pretty much cover everything else used under a hot dish.

    ReplyDelete