Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Table Mat Tutorial

Another super easy project using Pellon Fusible Stabilizer 1" Quilters Grid.  It took me just 2 1/2 hours to cut the pieces and sew up the top.  Since I did only very basic quilting after that, it was a  fast little project.  Of course, “Table Mat in a Day” just doesn’t have the same ring to it, does it?

Finished Size: 18" by 26"

Materials and Cutting Directions

  • dark brown fabric: 1/8 yard – thirty-five 2" squares
  • medium tan fabric: 1/4 yard – thirty 2" by 3" rectangles
  • light tan fabric: 1/4 yard – twenty-eight 2" by 3" rectangles
  • tan print fabric: 1/4 yard – twenty-four 3" squares
  • red binding fabric: 1/4 yard (single fold binding)
  • Pellon Fusible Stabilizer 1" Quilters Grid: 3/4 yard (cutting directions given below)

Assembly

1.  Cut the fusible interfacing to size.  You will need a 32 by 22 grid.  (So as not to get lost while counting, I marked numbers as I went using a wash out pen).  Trim off that little overhang as well so that the fusible grid is exactly the size needed.

2.  Place the fusible grid fusible side up on an ironing surface and start placing patches.

With more patches added. 

3.  Iron the patches in place being careful to never place your hot iron an any uncovered fusible.  Once the patches are all placed and ironed, your grid will look like this.

4.  Fold over one of the rows onto the next row.  I usually start by sewing the long seams first (but it doesn’t matter which you choose).  It will be easy to do this since the interfacing will naturally fold where the fabric edges meet.  I lightly pin to help avoid shifting.

5.  Sew with a quarter inch seam.  Here’s what it looks like from the back after all the long seams have been sewn.

And here’s what it looks like from the front.

6.  Trim just a wee edge off the seam allowance.

7.  Just enough so that you can iron the seams open.

8.  Repeat these steps sewing the seams on the short side.  I once again pin to prevent shifting.

9.  And here’s what it looks like after it’s been pressed.

10.  A little quilting.  A little binding.  And that’s it.  Done!  I love these quick little projects!!!

I did mine up in soft browns since I wanted something mellow and unobtrusive, but I did just a little play in EQ for some other possibilities.

Blues?

Table Mat 3

Contemporary?

Table Mat 2

Or something for a baby’s room?

Table Mat 4

3 comments:

  1. Terrie, what a wonderful idea! I am going to have to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrie, you're so productive! This is such a pretty table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! I've been following attentively the projects you are making with the fusible grid. When I saw this one, it reminded me of the quilted checkerboard I've been wanting to make for our family. We have checkers, but no board...not for long. :)

    ReplyDelete