Saturday, June 26, 2010

Dog Treat Bag Tutorial

Just a quick and easy project for our four footed friends.

From the front:

alt

From the back: 

alt

From the back showing how you can also attach the treat bag to a belt:

alt

Materials:

  • Outer fabric – 1 piece at 4 3/4" by 9"
  • Lining Fabric – 1 piece at 4 3/4" by 9"
  • Loop – 2 pieces at 2" by 4 3/4"
  • Fusible Interfacing – 2 pieces at 4 3/4" by 9" and 1 piece at 2" by 4 3/4"
  • 1/4" elastic – 1 piece 5" in length
  • Large safety pin

alt

Directions:

1.  Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the outer fabric, the lining fabric, and one of the loop rectangles.

2.  Measure 3/4" down from the short side of the lining fabric and mark.  

alt

3.  Baste the elastic in place just below the 3/4" mark.

alt

4.  Place the lining and outer fabrics right sides together.  Use a circular object (I used a spool of ribbon) to round the corners on the side that does not have the elastic attached. 

alt

5.  Cut out the curves.

alt

6.  Sew the two pieces together using a quarter-inch seam.  Leave a three inch opening for turning.

alt

7.  Turn right sides out.  At this point, you could sew the opening closed, but I don’t bother. I press to get a crisp fold and leave it at that since the opening will be sewn closed in a later step. 

alt

8.  We’re now ready to make the loop.  Stack the two pieces wrong sides together.  On one of the pieces, measure a line at 2 3/8" and 3 3/8" in from a short side.  At the 3 3/8" line, mark one-half inch in from the top and bottom.  (Edited to add: I just made another one of these and I used Fast2Fuse to stiffen this little tab.  It worked great – I wish I had done it in these original directions.  I used a single layer cut 2" by 4 1/2" and placed a quarter inch shy of the bottom edge to make it easy to attach to the treat bag in a later step.)

alt

9.  Fold the two pieces back at the 3 3/8" line and trim from the 1/2" marks to the outer edges of the  2 3/8" line.

alt

10.  Open back up and satin stitch along the two long sides.  Tip: As always when satin stitching off the edge of a fabric, I find using an Overlock foot (a #2 for my 1530 Bernina)  makes for a cleaner edge.

alt

11.  Draw a line 4 1/4" down from the curved edge side on the outer fabric.

alt

12.  Center the loop and overlap a quarter-inch past the line.  Sew 1/4" in from the top edge.

alt

13.  Fold the loop up and press to get a clean edge.  Fold back at the indent so the raw edge is tucked down in.  Top stitch along the bottom edge.  Sew a line 1 1/4" down from the top edge.

alt

14.  Measure 3" up from the bottom edge of the bag (the side with sharp corners) and fold, lining sides together.  Starting at a bottom edge, top stitch the entire edge of the bag.

alt

That’s it.  You’re done.  Simply slip in the safety pin and you can either pin the bag to your clothing or attach it to a belt.

You can also create some variations.

For one, if you use seriously gooey dog treats, you can add iron on vinyl to the lining fabric.  If you do so, be really careful that you never apply the iron directly to the vinyl.

For two, you could use a Velcro closure instead of the elastic.  I usually try to avoid Velcro whenever I can.  (I really hate that incredibly loud Rrrr-i-i-ip sound).  For those less easily annoyed, you could just add a bit of Velcro closure.  Like this:

alt

alt

Wyatt says, “Très chic.  Let’s promenade!”

alt

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea for treats and bags you have to carry to pick up the you know what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please note: I hate computers. I really wanted to post the following up there ^ , but now it looks like I said something really offensive and then though better of it. But this really is what I said before it got accidentally "removed by the author" --


    Cool! I found your blog! :D

    You're the only person I know who can make Kaffe's fabric look absolutely adorable. (Or is that just the expression on Wyatt's face?)

    ~Andrea Powell

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just the idea I've been looking for for taking my dogs out! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really clever design loved the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Solves my problem of trying to figure out how to attach bag in diff ways without the plastic belt clip you see on mass mkt bags. Yours is way cuter too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I made some tweaks to use snaps instead of the elastic and safety pin, and have been using my treat bag for weeks now. It works great, and is the perfect size to carry a bag or two and some treats. I blogged about it here: http://memademakes.com/2015/07/19/sewing-for-puppy/

    ReplyDelete