Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Snow Day!

The other day I posted that pretty dusting of morning snow:


Today that same part of the yard looks like this:


And then there's our deck:


So, no teaching today! (Still grading though . . . of course).

I am just about done with cleanup in my sewing room from that broken light bulb. I have to admit, every once in a while I just run full head on into my own neurotic self. Broken glass! Broken glass everywhere! Mercury! Ack! Ack! Ack!

So, I'm not quite ready to sew in my sewing room yet. Perhaps later today. I can hope because -- hey! it's a snow day! If I can't play a little hooky in the sewing room on a snow day, when can I?

Meanwhile, I've pulled out an old (so old) hand quilt project.  I was just pondering how old -- this goes back to when I was first learning to piece, so I'm guessing I may have started this 20 years ago, maybe a year or two longer than that. I have cheating in mind. If I just finish hand-quilting the sashing, then I'll give myself permission to machine quilt the borders. Because, honestly, I am never going to hand quilt those borders in order to finish this thing.

I still like it though. The bear paw remains one of my favorite blocks. I think I see another bear paw mini in my near future. Meanwhile, here I am trying to remember how to hand quilt!



4 comments:

  1. Ewww--mercury--so scarey!! I LOVE your bear paw--one of my favorite blocks, too...I see a mini in old fashioned prints in my future....hugs and happy groundhog day to you Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something so classic about a bear paw. A little one to go with the big one sounds like fun. Our groundhog day covered the bases -- snow, clouds, sun, more clouds. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  2. csu doesn't take a snow day very often so you are definitely entitled to quilt and sew. That's what I'm doing too. Despite having to shovel, it's a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day off is fine. The mess that makes of the syllabus less fun, but that's a problem for another day.

      Delete