Saturday, May 9, 2009

But what do you do with them? 1 of a Series

It’s the question I’m asked most often.  Someone considers a miniature, perhaps takes it in hand and pets it a little, and then,  after some soul gratifying ooh-ing and ahh-ing, there’s a bit of throat clearing and a delicately asked, “But what do you do with them?”

Funny you should ask.  Because one of the things I absolutely love  about miniature quilts is just how many things I can do with them.  So many more things, really, than a larger sized quilt.  A larger quilt goes on a bed or over a couch or on a wall.  Don’t get me wrong – I have larger quilts performing all of those exact functions and as every quilter knows, there is nothing like snuggling under a quilt – particularly if you get to do said snuggle with your honey.

But, with miniature quilts the array of display options is downright dizzying.  On a wall, of course.  They’re absolutely wonderful to display on a wall.  But then, tote bags, note pads, pillows, journal covers, and so much more.  I’ve got a list of ideas yet to come and can’t wait for summer vacation because it’s going to be a sewing frenzy around here!  (Still hoping to get ahead on Christmas.)

This is Oh, Fransson!’s wristlet pattern again, the flat variation this time.  I used the 13-Square foundation from Miniatures in Minutes for the rainbow squares.  When I want something super fast and super easy that has a lot of punch, the 13-Square foundation is the one I turn to first.  One foundation gave me two strip sets so I have another pieced rainbow all set to go – for the next one, I think I’ll try a cream linen for the bag body instead of black. 

Meanwhile, this one is going to be casually (and, I hope, somewhat elegantly) dangling from my wrist at Quilt Market.  This is me aiming to look like someone other than . . .  well . . . me.

2 comments:

  1. That bag is so cute! I think I'm going to have to try a mini quilt like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! and tiny! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete