Monday, July 12, 2010

Pencil Case Variations

Sometimes I just can’t help myself.  Like now.  So, first I decided I might like a pencil case that wasn’t boxed.  That thought  led to this:

I’d been waiting for something special to do with that mushroom fabric (which I just love).  I shortened the width on this since I knew I wasn’t going to box the corners.  I measured the fabrics 5" by 8 1/2" instead of 5" by 11".  Works fine.

But then, I thought how I am less than fond of how the zipper curves down the sides of the box.  I wondered if I could make it so that the zipper was only along the top.  Like this:

Here it is with the zipper closed:

Hmmmm.  Almost.  Those tabs along the sides are pretty useless now.  I might need to make another one of these down the road where I reposition the tabs.  Also, opening just at the top does reduce just how easy it is to scrabble about inside.  Still thinking on this.  Meanwhile, in case anyone is interested, here is how I made this one. 

The measurements and general bag assembly are all the same as the tutorial I gave in my last blog entry.  The only difference is in creating a gusset for the zipper. 

Zipper Gusset

1.  First, I cut an additional 4 pieces of the outer fabric 1 1/2" by 2 3/8".  (In retrospect, that should have been two pieces of outer fabric and two pieces of lining fabric).

I also cut four interfacing pieces, 1 1/2" by 2 1/8".

2.  Iron the interfacing to the back of the fabrics.  There will be a quarter-inch allowance at the top of each patch.

3.  Lay one of the fabric pieces right side up on the surface, the edge of fabric that is not interfaced is to the right.   (In the best of all possible worlds, I would have been thinking more clearly and it would have been a lining fabric).  Lay the zipper over the center of the fabric (the zipper is right side up with the pull facing you).  Note how the metal piece of the zipper is just slightly off the edge of the fabric.

4.  Lay another patch face down over the first.  Pin in place.  Sew 1/4 inch in from the edge.

5.  Trim off the edge of the zipper.

6.  Fold over the fabrics and press to get a clean edge.  Top stitch.

7.  Measure 7 1/4" down the zipper and repeat for the other side.  Be sure the zipper pull is in between the two casings!

8.  After the gussets are added, trim down the extra width.

9.  As before, add the quarter-inch fusible tape to the top and bottom of the zipper on both sides.

10.  Fuse the lining and outer fabrics as instructed in the tutorial.  Using a zipper foot, sew along the edge of the zipper.  Then, draw a line that extends the stitching line out to the fabric edge.  Sew.

11.  Here’s what it looks like after the fabrics have been added to the zipper. 

After this, it is business as usual following the tutorial directions. 

So, hmmm.  I’m thinking  one more of these might be in my future.  I’d like to play around with the zipper location on the version that is not boxed.  Because, what, suddenly I can’t have enough pencil cases?  It’s a mystery.

1 comment:

  1. Hadn't gotten around to commenting yesterday and here you are again! Very cute.

    There is another way of doing the box corners so that you wouldn't have those big flappy triangles on the inside (or the need to bind them after chopping them off!) but it is fiddly on small things.

    I think pencil cases in particular can be better flat and I am definitely going to try that with only the zip across the top.

    So a matching set for back to school at the end of the summer then?

    Cheers,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete