Monday, March 3, 2014

A New Purse -- Finally!

My old purse had gone through its paces – from Chic (or as chic as I’m going to get, which is to say – not very), to Shabby Chic, to just plain old Shabby. It served me well, but its day in the sun was done.

So, here we go:

Oh, I really like that. I used BasicGrey’s Little Black Dress 2 with Pink Chalk Studio’s Mail Sack pattern. (I made up the MIni size).

It’s the exact same pattern I used before. I really did love that purse down to its shabby bones. But now, after a little bit of tool and gadget love, I’m back in business. I used the GO! to cut the two inch squares. I used Pellon’s fusible grid interfacing to sew up the patches.

Here’s the grid:

Here’s the grid with the patches laid down:

The first set of rows sewn:

And the second:

I love working with Pellon’s fusible grid. It makes piecing go so fast!  I showed how I used it in previous blog entries.  If you’re interested, you can find the tutorials here (the square grid) and here (the on-point grid).

I used fusible fleece for body. Since the purse has darts, I cut out the wedges so there would be less bulk:

Meanwhile, here’s a close-up of some of the buttons that I added for a little bit of interest – also because I love buttons and it’s nice to get them out of the button box!

One last shot, the inner pocket:

I’ve made up some more Civil War sampler blocks, too, but I’ll save those for another day.

Meanwhile, I’m off with my new bag to go be chic (ha).

3 comments:

  1. That purse is adorable! I too have a PC mail sack that is too shabby. And I just finished a quilt with Little black dress. Now I know what I can do with the leftovers! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bag..and yes you are so chic! Or as you said as chic as women our age can be..lol. Seriously the bag is wonderful....love the basic gray fabric.

    ReplyDelete