Friday, February 18, 2011

Still Playing

Well, I wasn’t happy with how the wash-away applique foundation worked and it occurred to me – duh! – that I could try using wash-away paper foundation.  You know, the paper that was actually created specifically for this purpose?  Some of which I, of course, had sitting around.  So . . .  I drew up a grid in EQ and printed it off.

Glued the two sheets together and then folded along all of the printed inner lines, horizontal and vertical (though it’s hard to tell from this photo).

I applied little glue dots.

Then I attached all the little fabric squares.  (More Central Park because I had already gotten into that charm pack and it’s incredibly cute anyway).

I sewed using exactly the same directions that I gave in the previous entry.  Here it is from the back with the seams all sewn.

I didn’t trim the second set of seams since the paper was all going to dissolve anyway.  I’m rethinking that decision though since I had to go in later and clip the threads at the seam intersections in order to iron the seams open once it was all dried.  It’s a future experiment.  In any case, this is how well the paper dissolved away.

Yes!  Now we’re talking.  That is so so so much better than the wash-away applique stuff.  Which, of course, it should be. 

Here we are ironed from the back.

And from the front.

And made up into yet another zipper bag.

 

Conclusions on this one.  Well, I like this for when I want a softer quilt top.  The foundation is nice for mug rugs and bags.  The wash-away paper would work well for a doll quilt or something hand quilted.

And, because, I’m still playing around, I noticed this on the interfacing shelves at JoAnn’s: Pellon has fusible interfacing with one inch grids.  Both on the square and on the diagonal.  Hey!  How did I miss seeing this before?

I  picked up some of the diagonal to see how it would work.  So, here’s a little French General love.  It’s hard to see the grid in the picture but it’s there.

I ironed some two inch squares on and then trimmed the interfacing/foundation to the size I wanted.

Which is to say, I trimmed it to the size I thought I wanted.  It never ceases to amaze me that after all of these years sewing, I can still make some pretty silly mistakes.  So, what’s wrong with that picture?  Try seam allowances for the setting triangles! 

Which means that when I sewed it up, there was no seam allowance for those outer points.

Ooops. 

3 comments:

  1. Oops! You're so creative, Terrie! There are bound to be a few oops now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iron-on interfacing with a grid sounds awesome! Will have to see if I can find some out my way (the other side of the world...). Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that you are always willing to try and experiment with new products and ideas. Like Rilene said, "there's bound to be a few oops". Thanks for working them out for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete