Monday, September 19, 2011

Sizzix Big Shot or Cricut?

As anyone who visits here knows, I love my AccuQuilt Go!  Regular visitors also know that I am most definitely a gadget girl (though, in my case, “girl” seems a little overly optimistic). 

I’ve been loving how I can cut applique shapes with the Go! and a blogger browser can’t help but notice that quilters are also using the Sizzix and the Cricut to cut fabric shapes as well.

So, my question is: how do each of these work with fabric?  Which would you think is the better choice to supplement the magic of the Go!

My first impression seemed liked the Sizzix might be a better choice, but perhaps that’s just because I’m so used to the idea of die shapes.

Anyone?  Suggestions?  Advice?  Opinions?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried the Sizzix but I have a Cricut. The Cricut uses only dies since they sued some computer design software for rights. You really have to starch the fabric, iron on the fusible webbing and tape in place. I haven't tried it for more than one shape at a time and I haven't quite figured out the right settings. It does cut beautifully.

    However; since I have the banned software I use it to trace my applique shapes on fusible webbing with a pen. Since everything is based on layers it's taken some time to work with the software but if I have a zillion leaves to trace out, it's perfect.

    I think the Sizzix would be the better option if you are looking to cut fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy @ Badskirt did a great review on both the AccuQuilt Go and the Sizzix Big Shot. Based on her findings I think that I'd go with the Sizzix product. Read for yourself and see what you think.

    http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2011/08/you-had-to-be-big-shot.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly I would go with the Studio to supplement my Go - or replace it ;-) The studio dies are meant to cut fabric - the Sizzex are meant to cut paper. You can cut all dies with the Studio in, Sizzex, Elison, Go etc with the use of shims. The Studio is really well made and metal unlike the Sizzex plastic. Just my $0.02 :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Cricut and Silhouette - they both cut fabric very well. I prefer the Silhouette because you can use software on your computer to design what you want to cut - not locked into cartridges.

    Your fabric has to be on a 'heat-n-bond' or 'Under wonder' to stabilize the fabric and keep it from moving while the machine is cutting.

    ReplyDelete