Monday, December 31, 2012

Kaleidoscope Love!

Here it is: the last day of the last month of the 2012 Free-Motion Quilt Challenge.  I was so excited when I saw the bonus tutorial for the month used Kaleidoscope Kreator.  I had bought this software and the feather add-on earlier in the Fall.  I’d been having fun playing with it but hadn’t quite tackled the “how am I going to use this in a quilt?” stage of things.

And then there it was: the very tutorial I needed!  SewCalGal encouraged those of us who had the program to create our own design, so, of course, I did.  Here’s just a few of the designs I created (well, the software did).

grey pebbles on blue

five feather star pebbles inner star

grey pebbles on dark brown 5

I really love to move that shape around and see how you can create distinct colorings in various elements of the design.

green and purple image

I think that would look really pretty outlined in purple thread.

Anyway, I decided to go for a light background on the feather – figuring this was a first try and I didn’t want to put a lot of printer ink to a design that might be a fail.  So, here the design is, printed onto fabric.

Here is is with the feather outlined in thread:

The fabric is a bit stiff as I think you can see.  I decided to pebble the background.

And I love, love, love how that came out!  I’m trying out some fabrics for borders so I’ll try and finish it up this coming week.  But meanwhile?  I am so ready to play some more with the software.  (Though, I have to admit, coming into the homestretch on those pebbles, I thought my eyes were going to cross!)

1 comment:

  1. I love what you have done with this - and your background fill is perfect. I am about to start this tutorial but have decided not to purchase the software at this stage.

    ReplyDelete