Friday, December 28, 2012

Still Trying

I decided it was time to move beyond just practice bits and onto a real something or other.  So, here’s my take on the June free motion challenge -- a design that will allow me to experiment with a number of different fills. 

I used a walking foot to stitch the circles and the straight lines.  Since I decided to work on linen, I really needed the stabilizing.

I cut out freezer paper circles, ironed them onto the linen, and then drew around them to create the circles. 

The SewCalGal Free Motion challenge has inspired me to sign up for several Craftsy classes, one of them by Angela Walters.  In one of the lessons she demonstrated a swirl design I really loved.  Isn’t it always the case that it looks so easy when the teacher is doing it, and then something else entirely happens when you try it yourself? 

Yes.  Well.  Here are my practice runs.

I certainly like the look of the spirals, but when I examine what I’ve got, it’s clear I’m a long way from even stitches and evenly spaced lines.  Still, after five practice runs, I decided to just move onto the linen.  I’m afraid if I wait till I’m actually good at this free motion stuff, it could be years before I accomplish anything!  It is what it is.  I’m going to call this Organic Quilting.  Because things in nature embrace imperfection, right?

So there it is with the first circle done.  I’ve been doing a little play with circle ideas in practice as well.

So, yes, there’s a heck of a learning curve ahead of me, but I’m still having a good time.  There’s a lot to do on that linen piece.  In addition to filling in all the circles, I need to fill in that background grid as well.  I’m waiting till the circles are done before I ultimately decide, but I’m considering a variety of fills for those. 

In any case, there it is.  It’s a start.  And I do think I’m going to learn a lot working on this.  It will be kind of fun to catalogue what I’ve learned once I finish this piece.  Well, fun or horribly depressing. 

No, no.  I’m aiming for glass half-full here.  Jeez, Terrie!  I’m sure it will be educational, fun, AND inspiring. 

Not to mention, organic.

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool. I signed up for that class too, but didn't get there yet(: I love what you have done.

    ReplyDelete