Wednesday, October 14, 2009

All Cut Up

Some quilters like to cut fabric.  I have a friend who does.  It gives her satisfaction. (To which I say, huh.)  I’m not like that.  For someone who loves quilting, it’s a bit amazing how many parts I find a little tedious (sometimes a lot tedious).  So, I’m not big on cutting.  One of the things I love about all my miniatures?  Not so much on the slice and dice!  But here is the fabric for Jeff’s quilt, all cut up:

Pretty fabrics in strips of color: black, brown, burgundy, pink, and cream.  Quite lovely, really.  The whole quilt is built off of 2 1/2” strips.  It promises to be easy to assemble, so we’ll see. 

This is very much a “not me” kind of quilt.  With my bigger quilt projects, I tend towards heavily scrappy quilts with a whole lot of different fabrics and, more often than not, a whole lot of shades and colors as well.  Even my minis tend toward that style for the most part.  So a quilt like this?  Definitely outside my box.  Which, actually, I rather enjoy.

How about you?  Do you enjoy lots of scrappy or something more restrained and controlled such as this?

10 comments:

  1. I'm scrappy fan, the more fabric I can get in, the better. It makes for a lot of cutting though. I like the colours of the strips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like scrappy but I do hate to cut up my nice fabric. weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SueBee said: I love the feel of a scrappy quilt. It just seems like love was put into each piece that you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love scrappy quilts, but I like coordinated too. I think it mostly depends on the pattern, and if I can see it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be nice. Good job on getting such a fast start! I'd have to think about it for a few days (weeks?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy both scrappy and like the one you are making, depending on my mood. When I know it is something someone will like, the whole process is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It depend on my mood also and free time to do it...sometimes I like cutting, sometime love scraps too..:), but mostly surprised to the end- a finished quilt. Always get something precious things from every process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Put me in the scrappy column. To me, the variety in a quilt gives an added dimension. I like other quilts too, and can be smitten with a simple quilt of a single, solid color and white. I just don't know if I'd be patient enough to do the same block over and over. Love your blog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I both! I also love cutting fabric. It's so satisfying at the end. I just found your ipod case via Sew, Mama, Sew! It's wonderful! I would love to link to it if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like cutting fabric either. A bit here and there is ok. But enough for a quilt? I hate that part!

    I love both scrappy and coordinated quilts.

    My favorite part is the process of actually putting it all together. That's a good thing because I don't have a lot of time to quilt (or knit or stitch) so it feels like I don't end up with a lot of finished projects!

    ReplyDelete