Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dresden Plate Tutorial, Part Two

I nearly forgot I was planning to write up a tutorial for this (which is why there are no photos for the first several steps – oops).  For the record, you can find Part One of the tutorial, here.

1.  I cut out a background fabric 17" square.  This is actually a little larger than I need.  I figure I’ll trim it back a bit after I decide on how I’m laying out the blocks.

2.  Fold the background square in half and press.  Open up and fold the other way and press along the fold.  The folds quarter the block and help you orient the plate.

3.  Center the plate on the fabric using the folds to orient the block.  You can pin the plate in place, or – like I do – place small dots of Roxanne’s Glue Baste It behind the points to hold the plate in place.  Iron to set the glue.

4.  Attach the block using your preferred method: hand applique, button-hole stitch, or edge stitching.  (I used edge stitching).

5.  If you like, cut out the fabric behind the plate to reduce bulk. 

6.  (Okay, finally, we’re back to the place where I have photos).  Making the inner circle:  directions that come with the die suggest cutting out two circles for each block, sewing the circles together (right sides together), cutting a hole in the back of one to turn it inside out. 

That’s not how I did it.  I wanted my circle to be a smidge larger so I used applique fiber paper that dissolves after the quilt is washed.  So: I ran the fiber through the die.

7.  Then I cut a circle of fabric about a half inch bigger all the way around the circle.  Place the fabric right side down, the fiber circle on top.  Use a glue stick to edge the entire circle, to about 1/4" in, with glue.  (Make sure your glue stick is good and fresh and puts down a smooth sticky layer of glue).

8.  Gently fold in just the very edge of the fabric.  The goal is to just tip it over the edge of the paper and press the fabric down without any pleats in the fabric moving out to the edge of the circle.

9.  Once you have completed the circle, you can press the remaining fabric down.

10.  In addition to running the applique fiber through the GO!, I also run through a square of freezer paper.  Once I have a circle, I fold it in half twice, once again creating a cross.  Mark the edges of the folds.

11.  Iron the freezer paper onto the right side of the fabric circle.  Since I once again use glue dots to baste the circle in place, I gently dab little dots of glue on the back side of the circle.

12.  I use the marks on the freezer paper and the fold lines on the background fabric to center the circle on the Dresden plate.

13.  Since I’m using glue dots, I iron the circle to set the glue.  You could also just pin it in place.  In either case, remove the paper and then applique the circle down using your preferred method.  Once again, I edge stitched.

14.  Sit back and admire your pretty block.

I have been making progress.  I have all twelve of my blocks done!

Now I need to decide how I’m going to set them.  I like the idea of a bit of scrappy sashing.  Or I could just go with it as they are now.  Is that too bland?  I’m thinking sashing just a half inch wide (since that’s all the fabric I’ve got).

Other news in the news:

Bari won the Karen Stone More Quilts Software.  Congratulations, Bari!

I mentioned wanting to get a couple of mug rugs done before Thanksgiving – so here’s number two.  You can’t tell from the photo but the background fabric is linen and I quilted pretty densely.  Very pretty.  I used the AccuQuilt GO! Cherry Blossoms die for those delicate little flowers.

All I can say is, “Whew!”  I’ve got my quilt mojo back with a vengeance!

No comments:

Post a Comment