Friday, November 30, 2012

This and That

Well, first there’s the sampler.  One of my quilt groups decided to do a sampler in 2012.  Each month one of us brought directions for a twelve inch block.  One month was an extra choose your own (which is why there’s a T block in the upper left corner: T for Terrie).  So, I had a bunch of French General lying around and decided to play with those fabrics.  This is a truly lousy picture but it’s the layout I’m thinking of.

Once I had the twelve blocks done I decided I wanted to have them surround a center block, so out came the GO!

I just love those feathers!  I traced the design onto vinyl and then laid the tracing on a light box with the fabric over it to get the positioning right.

I’ll have better pictures once I start actually putting it all together.  I have to visit the quilt shop for the sashing fabrics first though.

My brains is still locked into “use it up” mode.  Well, I have three dressers in my sewing room stuffed with fabric.  There’s a lot of new fabrics out there I just love, but I’m feeling a little too guilty to buy them at the moment.  I need to use up more of what I’ve got first.  And finish more of those in process projects as well. 

And while bookmarks don’t exactly clear the drawers out, I do get to use up scraps on them.  Given my miniature quilt focus, I often buy charm packs.  And then I only need to use parts of them.  So I have a lot of charm pack bits and pieces.  The bookmarks are just lovely for using them up. 

Once again, I pull out the GO!  After layering bits of those charms on the 1 1/2" strip cutter,  I’ve got a pretty little pile to work with.

Which means I’ve added some more bookmarks to my Etsy shop.

Happy Christmas fabrics:

And some beautifully toned red, white and blue paisley:

Some American Jane:

I even cut up an old strip section I had.  (Way back when, I had gotten pretty darn far on a Strips n’ Curves quilt.  The problem was I never liked how it was coming out.  Every few years I’d pull it out and finagle with it until I decided I still didn’t like it.  Cutting it up for bookmarks was actually very liberating!)

You can see on the back that I cut up a pieced block as well.  There’s the curve:

I’ve got more coming up as well.  I’m hoping to finish up a rag quilt today or tomorrow that I can show off as well.

Hope you are having as much fun in your sewing space these days as I’m having in mine!

2 comments:

  1. Love your quilt. Hadn't seen that GO die before. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to dive into my fabric stash too. Your sampler design is very striking especially with the medallion. I think you need a job with the "GO" people.

    ReplyDelete